Friday, November 16, 2007

What are you getting your kids for Christmas?

'Cause I need suggestions for a 6 1/2 year old boy. Seriously, I'm stumped. He is not really into anything I want to encourage (ie he likes video games). He likes nature, but I got him a boat load to exploring type toys last year. This year we are only giving 3 gifts per kid, 1 big 2 small ( Jesus only got three gifts, why do we need more?) The only thing he has asked for is a violin, which is probably not in the budget this year. I asked my brothers, and they replied "Guns?", that's not happening, either. AND to top it off, we are trying to avoid Chinese made toys, I have spent more money sending back toys this year than on new ones!

My kids are getting several "group" toys from Santa, like playsilks, a nice chess set and a new copy of Monsters, inc. to replace the one destroyed accidentally. I usually throw a few books into their stockings, we try not to go overboard, but usually end up doing so. It seems this year they already have everything worth having! We are getting rid of a bunch of toys before Christmas (FREE DUPLOS, anyone?). I want to give them nice, budget friendly items, that are useful, and moderately educational, do these toys exist?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris from naperville again here-

I have a 6 year old boy, and he loves knights and vikings. We have a bunch of playmobil stuff- it's a bit pricey, but lasts a long time, is vaguely educational (but not stuffy) and for him and his 3 year old sister provide many an hour of entertainment. Also, it's not made in China.

He also likes helmets a lot, and of course swords and shields and the like. Then there's always a new set of colored pencils or other art/drawing type of stuff.

Yet it's amazing how different two kids can be, isn't it?

Chris

Nancy C. Brown said...

It seems to me like an "action" thing would be good for a 6 1/2 year old: a jump rope? A balance board? A giant sit-on bounce ball (if you have the room in the basement for it)? A pogo stick? Moon boots or romper stompers? One of those things you put around one ankle and that leg swings it around and the other leg jumps over it?

Games: Aristoplay has some great games that can be educational as well as fun.

Books: Is he reading? Probably not yet.

Could you rent him a violin? Borrow one from a family member?

After that surge, I'm fresh out of ideas. I hope one of these sounds good.

Deb said...

Chris- We have Bazillions of playmobils, my husband has his from childhood, but this child is not interested in them. I have not gotten Helmets, great idea, we have a few wooden swords and shields. This child likes to be different, that's for sure!

Nancy-We have a big bouncy ball, I use it for Yoga, he plays with it sometimes. We do not have much room for active toys, and we have no yard, just a porch. He doesn't read, but I get him books anyway! I'm trying to get up the guts to ask my sil to borrow the violin they are not using, it is the right size, but I haven't yet.

chestertonian said...

Deb, I had a post on buying American for Christmas back in September:

http://theblueboar.blogspot.com/2007/09/buy-american-this-christmas.html

You should be able to find plenty of links there. Also, does your son like to read?

Deb said...

Thanks, Chestertonian! I'll look at the links. This child is not reading yet, he is learning, but I do not see him as one who will be a big reader. Honestly, he is so practical, he asked for socks and underwear this week for Christmas, and when he gets it he will be happy.

xxxxxx said...

Rainbow Resourse has these little scooters my kids love.