Thursday, November 29, 2007

RIP Henry Hyde

I was sad to hear the news this morning that Henry Hyde had passed away. I am not one for politics, frankly, I hate politics, but I really admired Henry Hyde. I was privileged to meet him a few times over the years at Pro-life functions, and have many friends who live in his district. Henry Hyde was a man of class.

No politician is perfect, but I really felt like Henry Hyde tried to be a man of honor and dignity, which is rare in this age (and especially this state). He was elected to the House the year I was born and I remember hearing my parents speak of him growing up, as a good man, who cared about life. As a young adult, I remember telling my friends who lived in his district to vote for him. My opinion then of politicians and the whole political system was very typical for a 19 year old in the mid 90's, jaded, and lazy. There was just something about this grandfatherly man that made me like him.

Listening to the news, I think I must have been correct in my feeling, fellow politicians are giving story after story of his kindness and integrity. They are speaking of his ability to forgive and his genuine desire to do good through his work. We can only hope for more leaders like Mr. Hyde in the future.

No comments: