Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Simple Joy of Playsilks

I mentioned a few weeks ago I was getting my kids playsilks for Christmas. They arrived yesterday, and because I had run a co-op for them, my kids saw all of them. They know they are for Christmas, from Mom and Dad, but being kids, they could not wait. I was as excited as they were to play with them, so they each got one, as an early Christmas gift.

For the past 24 hours, my kids have been in one fantasy after another, all involving the silks. They have been pirates, knights, super kids, mountain climbers, the Nativity scene, and ghosts. The silks have also been pools of water for toy boats, lava, parachutes, and canopies. Basically, you can do anything with a silk.

What is a silk? Well, a 36x 36 inch of colored silk. It is soft, and the colors are beautiful. The lady who I bought these from hand-dyes hers, so there are variations of the color in each silk, the blues look like flowing water. The silk is from China, but dyed by hand in the US. I just regret I did not buy these 8 years ago when my oldest was little, but even at 9, she has been having a blast. The boys are having more fun than I thought they would. My husband thought the silks might be too girly, but he has decided not, once the boys tied him up in the silks so they could shoot him better with imaginary guns.

We also got these cool things called "ribbon wands". They have become the new wand of choice in the Harry Potter plays that occur daily (they are too young for most of Harry, but can make up hours of his adventures). The combination of the silks and the wands should bring hours and hours of fun this winter.

The lady who made the ones I bought is a small home based business, and she really did a great job. Just another way to support small business, encourage creativity, and live a life of beauty.

No comments: