Sunday, November 11, 2007

Today we honor our Veterans

November 11, Veterans day. A day that seems to be slowly fading from view, at a time when we need to honor those who serve our country more than ever. My local school district does not take Veteran's day off, and many others are following suit. This year even our president could not give honor to them by attending the traditional ceremonies.

Honestly, this is the first year in my adult life that I have taken great the notice due to this day. My dad is a Vet, and so is my younger brother, my sister's husband will very likely be heading off to Afghanistan next spring. They deserve more than a Sale at Sears! I've taken more notice this year because I've seem both my dad and brother suffer the long term effects of having fought in a war. My dad still has nightmares, he cannot go in a MRI machine, he is losing his hearing, and he has diabetes due to agent orange. But, I'm sure he would do it all again, if he were able. My brother is a changed person, most of his unit was lost in , yet he just reenlisted for another 3 years. I cannot pretend I understand, I lack the patriotism then have.

There are so many dads, brothers and friends around us that have been willing to die in duty to their country. Once a year, we honor them?! They deserve our thanks and appreciation every day. This has nothing to do with how we feel about any given war, but with the honor that is deserved by those who are faithful to duty and are willing to give their lives for our country, even with its flaws. Again, I cannot pretend to understand, but I can say thanks, and listen to them, even when it is hard. We can let our elected officials know more needs to be done to support these people, both now, after they are done serving. Our country has always had valued in its Armed forces, and the honor they bring us, but has not always appreciated them. Today we can do that. Our kids can do that. Just take a minute to say thanks today, and say a prayer for them, that God protect them, not and always.

No comments: