Monday, November 5, 2007

Everything Old is New again.

And in this case, it's a wonderful thing! This week it was announced that my Parish's annual 40 hours of devotion would end in our FIRST EVER Latin Mass. Cool, says I, I'm taking Latin, and now I need to cram an entire mass into my brain. Do-able. Today I head off to the church I go to for daily mass, and they are doing the Mozart Coronation Mass for The Feast of Christ the King. I've never heard a Mozart Mass in it's proper setting. I've sung them, by in academic settings, never in the context intended. Super Cool.

All of this is very exciting to me, I was born more than a decade after Vatican II. I've never been to a Latin Mass. I enjoy the Novus Ordo, because in recent years, I've been very fortunate to attend Mass at a church that is very intolerant of liturgical abuse, all of our Masses are beautiful and done well. The Latin Mass intrigues me, though, it is the mass of my Grandparents, and my grandmother has influenced my faith more than anyone. I hope soon, more people will be able to experience the Latin Mass, so we can better see the richness of the faith.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm Naperville, and met Nancy Brown at the art fair, and so managed to find your blog (you'd commented that her book was at the naperville library). Anyhow, I was wondering what parish you are in?

Thanks!

chris

Deb said...

I'm at Holy Trinity in Westmont(long story), but I go to Sts. Peter and Paul for daily Mass, Latin Class and Confession. It's good to see a fellow Napervillian on the web!