Friday, November 23, 2007

Fasting and Advent

After a day of excessive eating, I am thinking about Advent and particularly fasting. This is the first year in many I am not nursing or pregnant, and can really give thought to it. In my early days as an adult Catholic (ie high school), I fasted often, and grew in faith greatly, but old age (ie 30), has made me lazy. Sure, I can fast from coffee, and sweets, but I know there is more to be gained from a greater sacrifice.

Fasting is not for everyone, but if you are able, there was a great story on NPR (yes, I listen to NPR!) on All Things Considered about fasting and the health benefits. Sometimes, just hearing that it is not just good for your soul, but your body is that extra motivation to do it. Advent is a great time to make lots of little sacrifices, fasting is just one way to do this.

More on Advent is the days to come.....

No comments: