Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Just in Time for Advent, Chesterton!

I'm getting this tomorrow as a gift, it is supposed to be a surprise, but I saw it at my In-Laws a few weeks ago. Yes, I know it is for me, because I saw my mother-in-law wrapping 7 copies today (for her 7 kids and their spouses).

I'm very excited, I get more Chesterton and my agnostic sister in law has to endure Chesterton because my daughter has a big mouth. I overheard a conversation between the two of them a few weeks ago. Daughter was going on and on about Nancy Brown's Father Brown to my mother-in-law, my MIL told her she liked Father Brown Stories, but had not read much else by Chesterton, daughter responded, "Well, MY mom is a member of the Chesterton Society" Honestly, does she look through my mail? The kid does not miss a beat.

I skimmed through the book elsewhere. It is very nice. There are quotes, Scriptures and Meditations for all the days of Advent and the 12 Days of Christmas. Day one is the Gift of Hope. It will be a great introduction to Chesterton for my in-laws, and great fuel for Christmas discussion, until we get Chesterton added to the "list" of banned conversations! He'd be in familiar company, at least, religion, politics, the enviroment, social issues, music, movies, education, Nestle, immigration, games, each year, Harry Potter, Michael O'Brien, parental rights, the list grows each holiday.

There is one thing about this book I find moderately humorous, it is compiled by the Center for Study of CS Lewis. Poor Gilbert, doesn't even get his own Center for Study!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your ever-growing list of "banned" topics of conversation with the in-laws is hilarious. Sadly, I can relate to it. I, too, must avoid certain topics with my family or all you-know-what is likely to break loose. LOL.

Clare
www.claresiobhan.stblogs.com