Monday, August 13, 2007

Perfectionism and the Work of God


Recently, I was told I was a perfectionist. I had to laugh, first thought was"Well how come my laundry never gets finished!" I've had time to think about it. It might be true, and a perfectionist WOULD notice the laundry NEVER is done. As soon as everything is washed the kiddies give me a few more items fresh off their backs.

Laundry was not the context of the conversation, though. It was in spiritual direction, the context was fear of failure. How often do I, or many other people for that matter, do nothing, because maybe there is someone who could do a better job? I know there are several things I could have done, or said, but I didn't, because I wasn't sure I could do it well. So it never got done, most likely. God gives us certain moments to act, and in that moment perfection needs to be cast aside. My best effort would probably be more than sufficient. To explain many things, I do not need to be a scholar, but sincere. To teach, often could get by with being very passionate about the subject, not needing to know everything there is to know.

As I've been thinking about this, the parable of the talents from Matthew's Gospel comes to mind. The first two servants in the story made an effort, and the talents were multiplied. The third servant did nothing. NOTHING, and he was punished. He feared what MIGHT happen, and made not effort at all to do what he should have done. For years I have had a hard time understanding this parable. (Sometimes I'm a wee bit slow). I wasn't raised in a Christian home, It just didn't make since, but now, to me it seems clear. Our very best efforts, if they really are our best, are far surpassing no efforts at all. How many souls could I bring to heaven with me, just by making an effort, rather than hoping someone else will do a better job?

No comments: