Friday, August 3, 2007

Friday Book!

I've decided to review or just talk about a favorite book each week. This week I happily present: The Dangerous Book For Boys. This has very quickly become a favorite with my boys. I love this book, I love how it encourages my sons to think, to be creative and to get dirty.

I have long been concerned about the feminization of boys through our culture. Think about it, most educators are female and boys are not allowed to, well, be boys. There is a lack of appreciation for the wildness that should be a young boy. Does this mean they are uncivilized, no, quite the contrary. The book not only shows how to make a bow and arrow, it give grammar lessons. It represents the balance boys need.

I love the fact that is tells the stories of explorers, and the seven wonders of the ancient world. I hope that is fuels the desire to explore the world around them for many boys, not just the world that is given in the X-box. It fuels the imagination with tales of adventure and gives the tools to have adventures of their own.

The book is beautifully bound in red cloth with gold writing, it looks like something special, something old, something to be treasured. It has already found a special home with Pooh Bear, Peter Rabbit and Thomas the Train on our "special" book shelf.






No comments: