Thursday, August 30, 2007

My writing gig

I thought I got fired from my part time super low key high stress volunteer writing gig. (enough adjectives?) BUT, they asked me back, much to my dismay! AND the first deadline is TODAY. So anyone have suggestions for a children's book I can review that meets the following goals and objectives, that is not The Weight of a Mass? Did I mention this is for my Parish's award winning RE program?
Goal: To determine that God is worthy of our devotion and wants a relationship with us
Objectives:
1) To determine that God exists and has certain distinguishable traits
2) To establish the relationship that exists between the persons of the Blessed Trinity and the correlation to our relationship with God
3) To realize that through prayer, we come to know God and his will for us and learn that living according to God’s will brings happiness.

4) To learn the forms of prayer found in our Catholic toolbox (ACTS: Adoration, Contrition, Thanksgiving, Supplication (petition))

I better get reading and writing!

7 comments:

chestertonian said...

Angel in the Waters, by Regina Doman?

Deb said...

What a great book, but I did that one last year. I looked through the over filled bookshelves here and decided upon "My Path to Heaven" By Fr. Geoffrey Bliss, SJ. It's a republished book from the 1930's

chestertonian said...

I swear I get misty-eyed every time I read it. Regina is a genius, as is Ben Hatke, who did the illustrations.

It's too bad those requirements pretty much rule out fiction, or I could recommend quite a lot of titles.

Deb said...

I can use fiction titles for the rest of the year. I prefer fiction, suggest away. I think they humor everything I do, and if it is good, Father has to read the newsletter before it is published,and has "borrowed" by ideas for the bulletin more than once.

chestertonian said...

Ah, it's nice to be borrowed. ;-)

Let's see.... What is the age group? Oh, well, here goes:
The Hobbit by Tolkien
The Lord of the Rings by same
Farmer Giles of Ham by same
The Phantom Tollbooth (forget the author and haven't read it, but Dr. Thursday HIGHLY recommends it)
The Man Who Was Thursday,
Manalive,
Tales of the Long Bow,
The Ball and the Cross,
All the Father Brown Mysteries: ALL of these are by Chesterton :-D

Ok now to go out on a limb. I don't know where you or this parish stands on Harry Potter, but there is a lot of misinformation out there and he needs defenders, so I'll go ahead and recommend Harry Potter.

That's all I can think of now off the top of my head, but I'll post some more if I can. :-)

Anonymous said...

I understand that this guy is a bibliophile - he might have a few ideas on books for the future.

http://www.verilyprosaic.blogspot.com

Deb said...

Thank you for all the suggestions. It can be hard to find good Catholic Children's books, and as this is my third year, I am getting a bit short on ideas I have on my shelves!