Friday, August 10, 2007

Friday Book!

Cautionary Tales for Children. This week we visit the book I checked out of the library so much my Husband asked me to buy it. I remember the stories from this from my childhood. I did not have a good Catholic upbringing, so the fact that it ended up in my house is pretty amazing.

The Edward Gorey illustrated edition is so much better than the edition I had. The drawings are perfect for the stories, but I love Gorey's work in any form.

Our favorite story is Matilda who told lies and was burned to death. It is basically a retelling for the Little Boy who cried wolf, but in a far funnier form. I've heard J.K Rowling has said her favorite poem is Jim who ran away from his nurse and was eaten by a lion. We're happy to be in her leagues as fans for Belloc.

Here's the last bit about this book, I was recently assigned to read it by a priest in confession. His logic, so I stop taking myself so seriously. That was the day I bought it. If Father said to, I had to. It really is a good way to learn a lesson, not just for children, but adults, and to have a good laugh, to remember not everything has to be serious.

No comments: