Monday, May 19, 2008

The Simple Joy of Camping

I used to camp with my husband, before we were married and Br. Maximilian before he was a brother. So to put that in a time perspective 12 years ago. I was a young lass then, barely 20, camping was fun, I loved it, but I never thought it was kid friendly. This weekend, my stupid pre-kid myths were proved wrong, again. Camping with kids is a huge giagantic blast!

Yes, we packed up the Olds and headed to the great outdoors. The car was a bit like a cartoon, with so much stuff crammed in every possible place, one bump and it could explode, leaving unmentionales all over the Illinois highways! Luckily, the stuff was packed so tightly, it held in place.

We headed north, to Apple River Canyon, which is breathtakingly beautiful. The weather was not great, it rained, yet, I think we may forget that detail in the future as we recall the fun we had. There was no schedule, no worries, no places to be, it was simply great.

My 7 year old lost his first tooth, the tooth fairy still found us, and didn't even wake a soul in our over stuffed tent. The 7 year old was so different out in the woods, hammering sticks into the ground, just because, fetching water for the kettle, and just relaxing. It was so nice to see he can have fun without video games or TV. He brought with the Dangerous Book for Boys to keep himself busy, and gave all kinds of advice on how to make the fire, tie knots and set up the tent.

We will definitely be camping again, soon, it was the perfect get away. Where else can you scare a turkey at 6:30 am? I will post pictures very soon, the kids took a few hundred of the fire and every other object in the campsite. I look back and wonder how I possibly had fun camping without my kids, life without them seems so dull.

1 comment:

Tim Noble said...

Sounds like a great trip. My kids like camping...it's great to get away from the hustle and bustle of the City (I live in London)