Thursday, May 1, 2008

Buying local

So for part two of my little series on distributism, I've decided to bore you with with one of my favorite topics, local buying. Why buy local, well for one, the community you are living in benefits from the business. Two, in the case of foods, they are fresher,and therefore last longer. This point especially is my favorite reason to buy local. I have no yard, I mean that, I have a porch, not grass, not trees, just a porch, a garden is impossible, but I love fresh veggies. Luckily, I can walk to the Farmer's market in my town and get lots of good yummy things.

Most of the farms who come are small farms, too small to supply a store, and the Farmer's Market is their main source of income. It is nice to talk to the person who grew the food and have them tell you about it. I've grown to really enjoy seeing "the bee guy" and "the potato lady" on Saturday Mornings. Yes, the prices are a bit higher, its true, but the quality is higher, too. We may not get as much for our money if we went to the big mega-chain store, but my food did not have to go through customs to get to me.

Buying local is not just for food. It is not hard to find a local shop that is unique for gifts of all sorts. Craft fairs are a bounty of local artisans. Sure, not everything can be made locally, but so many things can. Support your local industries.

Reason three, it is good for the environment, too, less travel=less emissions, less fuel burned. Not a biggie, but for some, rather important.

Enough of that soap box.

1 comment:

John Jansen said...

I have just one quibble with what you wrote here:

Anything related to distributism is never boring.