Sunday, October 21, 2007

My Favorite Movie

Love2learn has started a movie Blog! This makes me very happy. In my very early days of homeschooling I discovered Love2learn, and it is my absolute favorite resource for all things Catholic, family and Homeschooling. The new addition of the movie site is very timely, we started doing Netflix a couple months ago and have been trying to find great films for the family, and sometimes just for the grown-ups.

I noticed that they have not yet reviewed my favorite film, though. This time of year, Hitchcock film air frequently on the movie channels, but one is almost always over looked, I Confess. This 1953 film is one of the most Catholic movies Hitchcock ever made. Hitchcock was a devote Catholic, and this movie makes it no secret. I was given I Confess as a gift a few years ago, and have made just about every person I know watch it. So far, every one has loved it. Why? Because it is classic Hitchcock, full of suspense, mystery and drama. It is also a quick favorite among my friends because of the role the sacrament of Confession plays and the implications the seal of it holds.
Shot in Montreal, I, Confess is stunningly beautiful. The acting is not the best in a Hitchcock film, but the roles are convincing enough. The plot is simple, a man commits murder, confesses and frames the priest he confessed to. Simple, but all of the situations that surround the murder, the murder and the priest are what make it so good. I often wonder if Hitchcock was reading Father Brown stories while making this film, there are a few subtle resemblances. This is a great movie for teens, there are a few mature situations, but due to it being 1953, they are alluded to rather than explicit. I love this movie on cold fall nights with a nice hot cup of cider. Cuddle up next to your husband or wife and enjoy the plot twists and turns, and the simple joy of a really good movie.

3 comments:

love2learnmom said...

I love that movie! I'm glad you like the blog - would you like to join us as a contributor on the movie blog? You can e-mail me if you're interested - webmaster at love2learn.net

God Bless,

Alicia

chestertonian said...

"Cuddle up next to your husband or wife and enjoy the plot twists and turns..."

I have to choose? Can't I cuddle up next to both?

;-)

Deb said...

Ha Ha, only if you live in Mass.