Tuesday, October 30, 2007

More things that get me in trouble with my Homeschool group

I love Halloween. There, I've said it. It's true. Its a big deal in my home. I love decorating, I love reading scary stories in the dark, I love baking the cookies, and let's not forget the best part, taking 50% of the good candy from my kids! I'm a pagan in some people's books because of this.
It does get me banned from some family's homes, and plenty of rude comments made, but, I'm half Irish, this is like the second biggest holiday we have. I do not attend the "alternative" All-Saints party, my kids like to play saints year round, St. George is always battling the dragon in our home. I've never thought it was evil to celebrate Halloween. I know where my heart was, and my kids are not confused. I respect my many friends who are protecting their children, that is their job as parents. I appreciate that they have concerns about the evil in the world. I just see it differently. I'm not the only one, either, Lint Hatcher has set up an appreciation of Halloween website for Christians, specifically Catholics. Take a look, I'm off to make my kids listen to me read Poe, again while we listen to Night on Bald Mountain.

1 comment:

chestertonian said...

Deb, you are so wise, and so very cool. I have had it had it had it with otherwise decent Catholics acting like such puritans. What has gotten into them? And what it is with some homeschoolers?

We are Catholics. We own this stuff. The other night my seven-year-old watched the orig. Frankenstein and had all sorts of deep theological questions from it. It was so cool!! I'm going to put it on my blog, hopefully today.

gotta run and scarf some of my kids' Halloween candy! :-)