Thursday, October 4, 2007

Happy Feast of Saint Francis


I have had a life long love of Saint Francis, not because of my bad hippie upbringing, not because I was an animal loving vegetarian, but mostly because of the fact that I was raised at St. Francis church. My adult life has been surrounded by many Franciscans. My 2 of my children are named after Franciscan Saints, Clare and Maximilian. My best friend is a Franciscan Friar of the Renewal. The Art Institute of Chicago is filled with images of Saint Francis, which I am so blessed to marvel at.
I admire many of the ideals of the Franciscans, simplicity, poverty, and service of the poor, these are not the ideals of a weak or Godless man. Francis has been adopted by so many non-Catholics, and even non-Christians as the patron or peace and love, not to mention animals. On the surface, he may seem just that, but, to see only that, is to only see a slight glimpse of the true Francis. This is the man to stripped naked in front of a bishop as a sign of his denial of all the world, especially the cloth of his father. He slept in the elements, on the rocks, he begged for his daily bread. This is not a life led by a man without the deepest love and faith in God.Francis was so truly united with God and his will, he experienced ecstasy, he had visions, and was blessed with the Stigmata.
So much could be said, volumes and volumes have been written on Francis, including two of my favorites, The Flowers of Saint Francis and St. Francis of Assisi, by Chesterton. So today, on this wonderful feast day, read Chesterton's book(I really live the double volume with St. Thomas), or at least start it, with Nancy Brown's Study guide, remember the poor, and pray for the church to be rebuilt, as God told Francis, there is always room for a little repair.

No comments: