Friday, December 26, 2008

New distractions

Two small events in our home have caused major changed. The first is that our cable company upgraded to digital only, and we did not follow, therefore, we have no TV stations anymore. My kids will miss PBS and I will miss the mid-day news, other than that, it was just noise and time wasted. Without the "background" noise after dark, we have to find alternatives for entertainment, when mom is tired. 
The second is related to the first, indirectly. I got a new super cool Ipod for Christmas. I had a cute little nano for several years, but in an accident involving a dark snowy night and 3 kids, I dropped it in the street and it met it's death under a plow. I  missed having it, but life went on. My husband got tired of me taking his Ipod, so Santa brought me new one. This is the "big" one, 120GB, there is so much space, I can put dozens upon dozens of books on it. 
We now have our new "noise", audio books and podcasts. Today we are listening to Harry Potter and tomorrow we plan to listen to the Hobbit. While I do the dishes, I can listen to the Chesterton Podcast, among others. I have found a bunch of new podcasts related to art, music and history. Our new distraction is far more educational than the old one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taking the TV away sounds very peacful, but then I remember that I have 6 kids who need to be entertained during the days!! I'm one of those mom's who say--let's see what's on TV so I can do some work. ;)

Actually, I'm a bit jealous that your family is doing really good without the distraction of the TV. There has to be more time for, I don't know, talking to each other.

Deb said...

I wish I could say it was all bliss. The truth is I really miss my TV. Everyday I moan and groan about not being able to watch something. If we did not have to do major upgrades, I'd still have cable. My kids are faring better than I am, although I now say things like, "Can't you get out of my kitchen for a bit and go play the Wii???"