Monday, December 8, 2008

The beauty of being Universal

Catholic means Universal, but how often I let that simple definition slip my mind. This weeks so far I have had two very beautiful reminders. Yesterday, my parish, celebrated its annual Lady of Guadalupe Mass. Yes, it was early, and yes, we used readings of the day, but we had a special focus on Our Lady. This Mass is one of the highlights of Advent for our family. The music is beautifully and reverently done by a Mariachi band, the readings are done in both Spanish and English, and the homily is given in both languages, with a slightly different message to each language's audience. We love the liveliness of the Kyrie, the joy of the joy of the Sanctus, and the devotion of those who come and bring their rich traditions to our little suburban church. The tamales afterwards only add to the already delightful morn. 

Today due to work schedules, the only Mass we could attend together was Latin Mass. It was a stark contrast to yesterday's, but no less beautiful. No music, no liveliness, but quiet, simple beauty. We got to see the young and old, veiled and not, all kneel and adore our Lord as they received the the Blessed Sacrament. The Priest, in his few moments of English, had a southern accent. 

This is our Faith, both loud and soft, both filled with excitement and filled with calm. It is the same mass, just two very different expressions of it, both licit. I can go anywhere in the world, and though I may not know the language or local customs, know the Mass. There may be small variances, but, in any setting, "This is my Body, and This is my Blood" still bring me my Lord

3 comments:

owenswain said...

Thanks so much for coming 'round to offer is the names of souls to pray for during this special month. God bless.


My Art
My Catholic faith
Our prayer initiative A Month for the Souls in Purgatory

Anonymous said...

When I taught 4th grade Religion class I encouraged them to go to other parishes, especially when they are on vacation. Different atmosphere but the same mass! Pretty awesome!!

Anonymous said...

beautifully said deb! what a blessing we share!