Thursday, September 13, 2007

Looking for more Books

I desperately need a history book that will look at European and early American history from a Catholic point of view. The new history books arrived for my children, and this year we get to sing the Guy Fawkes song. Yippee. I bet it makes the French Revolution a great thing, too. Those bad Catholics oppressing people again. I wish that the books were not this way, because they are good in most regards, but I do have to "supplement" anytime they mention the Catholic Church, popular ignorance prevails.

I did not learn, in my bad public education, anything that was from a Catholic point of view, and if I did I was not listening. I call my late high school and early college years my "bad Catholic" phase. Short, thankfully, but I am still trying to make up for it in my education. In particular I would appreciate recommendations that pertain to the French Revolution, British history after Elizabeth I, and the founding of the United States. If I can get it from the library, even better, because the book budget (and shelf space) has been exhausted for the time being.

3 comments:

chestertonian said...

Deb, my parents run a Catholic book store, the St. John Fisher Forum Catholic Book Store, that specializes in home schooling books, including books on American history from a Catholic perspective. I'm not sure if their web site (www.stjohnfisherforum.org) is down now, but give them a call at 217-243-4761 or 888-585-8825.

-Sean

Deb said...

I know your parents! I have bought from them for years. How funny! Your mom had just gotten back from workshop last I saw her at a HS conference. We were discussing Fr. Socias books and how hard he can be to understand on retreat or workshop. Why did I not think of looking there! Thanks.

chestertonian said...

Whoa, what a small world! :-)