Monday, September 10, 2007

Bella The Movie, My Review

To be fair I have to preface with a few bits of information, the first being that I saw this movie in January, and being that I have been suffering from motherhood inflicted brain loss, I have forgotten some details. But the movie left an great impression on me, so I still remember quite a bit. The second has more to do with my movie related background. I really like art films and foreign films. I think in my high school and college days (it wasn't THAT long ago), I saw pretty much everything that I could. I still would pick an art film over a big budget film any day. Why is this important? Well, Bella has all the qualities of a really good art film. It has won awards(Hello, SXSW? HUGE indie fest!), it was made quickly on a small budget, and word of mouth is what will make this film.

From the very beginning of the film, I knew I was in for a treat. It had that rough quality I enjoy, pure beauty, used as a way to draw the watcher in. The colors were perfect, like a painting, so appealing to the eye, so much attention is given to the look of this film, but not in an over-done way. The visual beauty of the film only enhances the beauty if the story. The Film looked real.

The story is one that all can relate to. A man seemingly has everything, loses it all, only to gain all that he really needs. I really do not want to divulge too much of the actual story, because it is so worth seeing, without any preconceived notions. The story follows two main characters, who I'm sorry to say, names escape me. The male is a scruffy looking cook in a Hispanic restaurant, the female is a waitress in the same restaurant. The female has just discovered she is pregnant. They spend the day, away from their jobs, together discussion life, and her pregnancy.

Bella has been hyped in Pro-life circles, for good reason, but it should not be limited by this label. It is so much more than a "pro-life" film. It is a film about hope, sorrow, regret and promise for the future. Is it a Catholic movie? Yes, in the true sense. It is not overt, but pure. The family of the man exemplifies a Catholic family. They are not perfect, but welcome the stranger (the young woman)with open arms. They really are a great example of the beauty that is many Hispanic families, joy, love and familial devotion.

The movie is not complicated, even though it deals with a very complicated matter, the story moves quickly, but not so quickly that one will get lost. I mentioned color before, which seems so trivial, but the fact that the colors are bright, helps keep the movie from being like so many films today, bright colors show hope. While the film was being made the crew stayed with the CFR's, and the CFR's are featured on the subway. Br. Maximilian, CFR, my very dear friend, was able to spend a little time with them. He reported that they live and breathe their faith, and want it all of their work to reflect that. Beauty is an exceptional way to reflect the Catholic faith.

What really sets Bella apart from other "faith based films" is that it is not one. Sure, faith motivated the team making it, and it is based on Catholic truths, but, through an artistic eye, it avoids the many pitfalls "faith based films" have. For one, the film does not preach, but shows the glory of personal freedom to choose good or evil. Secondly, many recent faith based films have had the tendency to be very slick, forgoing quality of the story for a very glossy look. As previously stated, Bella is not glossy, but exhibits true beauty.

Bella is a great little film, and I truly pray that is does well, many hearts will be touched, mine was. It is a great film for older teens and adults, the subject is a bit beyond younger people. My husband thought my initial description points to a "chic flick" but I tend to think he is wrong, even if he is not, many men get dragged to chic flicks. In meeting with the director and actors, I was even more convinced that this film has such great value, they are potentially sacrificing their careers for this movie. If Bella does well, they will make more films like it. Please see Bella, it will make you cry, and laugh, but you will leave the film with a sense of hope.

3 comments:

chestertonian said...

Deb, I'm going to put this on my blog, if you don't mind. Good review!

Deb said...

I certainly do not mind! Just remember to add it comes our October 26!

chestertonian said...

thanks!!

And yeah, I mentioned the date! :-)