Monday, August 30, 2010

Why I need my husband

It may seem obvious, but given the number of single mothers I know, I wonder if husbands are out of vogue. Mine is gone for the week, and I feel like my right arm is missing. He only travels once a year, maybe twice, thankfully.

Why do I need him? First of all, he is there to help me find, oh, I don’t know, everything. I’ve sent him probably 12 text messages looking for stuff today alone. Not even half the time does he know where the item is or even what the item is, but just having him to ask is helpful. Another reason is the kids. This is a big one. They have too much energy for me, I’m more the “let’s sit and read quietly” kind of mom. They are more the “let’s run around screaming and kicking like a bunch of lunatics” kind of kids. My husband must have been that kind of kid, and he can deal with them around 5 pm much better than I can. Another kid related thing, I cannot fix playmobils, legos or Star Wars figures. If they break this week, look out garbage bag! he has the ability to fix toys, I have the ability to throw away toys. The kids things can go on forever, but lastly, he can tell a 12 year old girl that she cannot wear high heels and a short skirt with authority, I just turn a funny color and freak out. He freaks out in a different, powerful over my dead body sort of way that makes the 12 year old sulk off and never wear said heels again.

Just another thing I need him for, he listens. The little boarders here need to be told 900 times just about everything. he listens to me even when I am talking to the television, and he warns the kids to not join in those conversations. He never complains about the way I look, which honestly, he could. If I look like a bum, which I always do on days I work, he doesn’t notice, if I look nice, he doesn’t ask why I’m dressed up, like a certain 12 year old. I could look like death, and he would still think I’m beautiful. God Love him.

I could go on forever, and ever, and ever ( he puts up with that, too!). I love my husband, and cannot imagine life without him, especially after the 18 years we have been together. I hope someday my kids find a spouse as faithful and loving as mine.

No comments: