Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Rejoicing with others

This is one of the little life lessons I’ve actually managed to learn and then live. I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately. Sometimes, it is almost painful to rejoice with others, they are happy, and should be, but I would give anything to be in their shoes. But still, I’ve learned to at the very least smile and be silent.

This aspect was easy to learn, at least for me. When I was newly married, 4 whole months, we announced that my husband and I were expecting our first child. I was expecting a cool reception, but I wasn’t excepting downright icy responses. I knew that my husband’s sister longed for a baby, that she had been trying to conceive, I didn’t know that my getting pregnant would hurt her so much. One sister outright told me it wasn’t my turn, how could I? Ouch. To this day, there is a part of me that though I understand and forgive, is still hurt by this.

So many times, we see what others have, or are doing and are envious. It is human nature, our fallen nature. When we put ourselves aside, even when that longing is almost painful, God blesses us. He gives us the grace to rejoice and support, if necessary, our friends.

No comments: