Tuesday, March 9, 2010

We need to pray for them

It has been a rather depressing week in my diocese for young, excited priests. First, my dear friend, a seminarian was asked to take leave. He has done nothing wrong, other than to love as Christ loves, and not had a healthy enough distain for children. He doesn't run the other way when he sees them, and actually will talk to them, must be up to no good. We seem to have forgotten the words from the Gospel of Mark (chapter 10):

"And people were bringing children to him that he might touch them, but the disciples rebuked them.
When Jesus saw this he became indignant and said to them, "Let the children come to me; do not prevent them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.
Amen, I say to you, whoever does not accept the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it." Then he embraced them and blessed them, placing his hands on them."

Embracing them is forbidden in this day and age, and I suspect very soon, Blessing them will be too. Please don't think I do not understand recent scandals. I was raised in a Parish that was front and center of them in my diocese, the priest who first gave me Our Lord in communion was a pedophile and is rotting in jail. My family left the church, and part of the reason was him. I get it, but I also think we cannot knee jerk respond to the point that innocent men are being pushed out of their vocation.
Later this week, a recently ordained announced he is leaving the priesthood. I've heard mutterings, don't know what is true, but he leaves in good standing, pressure from self-righteous holier than the Pope types have made him leave. It is sickening. I really really liked this guy. He was fun, and very wise and holy. My kids loved him, he laughed at their bad jokes. He made the priesthood look cool. That's just what little boys need, not getting yelled at for making a mistake as a server, or being ignored when they ask Father a silly question, that seems important to them. That does not make them want to be a priest.

A third young priest is on sabbatical to see if he is staying. Nice. I don't know him, but at present we have lost 75% of the priests ordained in the last 3 years. This has to stop. We as people of faith need to pray and support our priests, even the ones that yell at kids, but even more the ones who don't, because according to the world, there is something wrong with them.

Sorry for my rant. I'm just hoping that before my sons are old enough to be serious about a vocation, they would find a mentor, a priest to not only bring them Jesus, but be Jesus to them.

St. John Vianney, Patron of Priests, Pray for them!

2 comments:

Carla said...

We need manly fatherly priests - the evil one works overtime to get rid of holy priests... I will join you in praying to SJV!

Deb said...

Thanks, Carla, I saw your uncle this week, and said a prayer for you! He is so proud of all of his nieces and nephews and all of their children!