Saturday, March 6, 2010

Know your farmer, Know your food


I know my farmer, his name is Jamie, and Karen, his mom, delivers my eggs, cheese and veggies in the summer. I've known Eric, and Paul, the people at Plow Creek and Donna, they are my farmers, or have been in the past 7 years. The USDA is launching a program so that more of you can know your farmer too. Nothing compares to being able to ask how to get rid of squirrels from the guy who battles them all week, or to ask if beets ever go out of season, after the 12th week of them straight from the person who is mulling tilling them over.

Eating Local is not just about food, it's about people. My farmer needs to farm to pay the bills, and has decided not to take the "easy way" by planting cash crops (corn, soy). By buying local, I am helping a family keep a farm out of debt that has been in the family for generations. Corn looks like quick cash, but costs them the farm. Buying local helps my farmer live here, where I live, though it is mostly urban. Knowing my farmer means knowing a person, and their joys and struggles to provide food, it means asking how they are doing, it means rejoicing with them that it has been a good season. You cannot eat the food without offering a prayer for the person, whose face you know, that grew it. I know my food is truly the work of a person hands, because I shake those worn hands each week.

No comments: