Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sadness and Joy

This weekend a woman who had a great deal to do with who I am now died. I had not seen her for years, but because of her work with youth, I met my husband, learned practical cooking tips, and mot importantly, grew in my love of Christ.

Jean was a mother, not just to her children, but to foster children, and to the many many teens and young adults that came into her home over the years. She cared for each and every one of us, I truly believe, even when, like a good mother, she was correcting us. In remembering her, I recalled first the times she was teaching, explaining the various things we needed as we prepared for a retreat. Sometimes we would have other ideas, and Jean would explain in a stern yet loving way, why it would not work. I remember being annoyed at the time, but as usual, Jean was right. She new more than a 16 year old, imagine that!

Jean died cooking for her husband, who also helped many many young people grow closer to Christ. The fondest memories I have of both of them are the many in which they guided us to take the reigns, so to speak. They were forming Leaders, not just Christians, but Christians who would look beyond themselves to serve and then guide.

I was at Mass when I was told Jean died last night while cooking dinner. I was so saddened, but another friend reminded me, that think of Jean's encounter with God, think of all the people she led to Christ, to faithful marriages, to serve. I truly believe that God will look at her and say"Well done my good and faithful servant"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Anonymous said...

You should post this on the "remembering Jean Wahrman" section of the Happening Facebook page. It would be great if we could consolidate everybody's thoughts!

Deb said...

Will Do Bryan