Sunday, January 18, 2009

Active life Out Door Challenge for Wii

This is the game that promoted me to want to review games here! My husband saved us from the cabin fever that was destined to do us in by bringing Active Life home this bitter cold week.

I really really like this game. I was skeptical, another extra(the mat) is the last thing I wanted in the house, but as I said, super cold days were turning us into couch potatoes. We've only had Active life for a few days, but a few simple things one me over. First of all, the game is impossible to play from the couch, you run, jump and shake your way though the game. Virtual Jump Rope sounds easy, but as a woman who has now virtually fallen on her nose, it is even harder than the real thing! There are daily fitness modes, too, not unlike Wii fit, but far more fun. 

The second thing that has impressed me is that the hyper 4 year old of the house can play. There are very few games he can join in on, even Mario Cart Wii is a huge challenge for him, and he never wins. In Active Life, he can run and jump and best of all for the little guy, win. I have also seen his behavior improve in the last few days since he has had an outlet for his energy. 

The third impressive point is what I am currently witnessing, co-op play. Two kids, or mom and a kid, can play at the same time, with the option of playing as a cooperative team. They are not just playing at the same time, or against each other, but they have to work together to succeed in the team mode. 

The downside of Active life is the mat, it is big and if you have many accessories, like we do, it is one more thing to store. Also, some of the games are a bit hard and take a while to learn, but there are very good instructions.  Like I said, we have only had this for a few days, but from what I have seen, it seems worth the $60 it costs, at least in weather where we are not leaving the house and need to get energy out. It is less expensive than taking the kids to the movies, and even there they'd be sitting around.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I know what I'm buying with the husband's next paycheck!!

Anonymous said...

How about Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum? Or, any recommendations on games for exercise for adults. I have the Wii fit.

Deb said...

My hubby has heard mixed things about that one. He will bring me a copy this week and I'll try it out and review it next weekend.