Saturday, February 14, 2009

Where your treasure is, there your heart shall be.

I've been thinking about this verse often lately. Recently many opportunities have come before me to give of my time, talent or treasure. I like and believe in may of the causes, but I cannot give to all of them. Some I may have given to last year, but for many reasons, I will not this. Where is my heart in my giving?

Last year I made a contribution to my local Public Radio Station. I listened often, so it seemed worth it. In turn I got a "free" subscription to Newsweek. In the past year, I have found the same station to offend me more and more, mostly regarding their portrayal of Christians and Pro-Life people. Newsweek is outright anti-Catholic and 100% pro-choice. I cannot give my treasure there, but a place like sqpn needs funding, and can do far more good,and so my heart turns to where the truth is.

I volunteer with a a large breastfeeding organization. This group is not organized and lately has lost its focus. I'm saddened by what I see, and the mothers I work with in my affluent community frequently are too quick to quit nursing for a trip, or to be able to spend more time working out. Both can be important, but, it seems so selfish to me. I'm judgemental, I know. Where is my heart? Again, My treasure needs to move toward the greater need. I now am able to shift my focus to teaching Breastfeeding to women in Crisis pregnancies. These women need help, they need someone to say that they can do it, they need someone to believe in them. They will most likely be working and away from baby, but, they will have that quiet moment when they get home that they can be the sole provider for their baby, and my hope it that will empower them.My heart is in this work, with the support of my organization.

It can be anything really, but my Heart and Treasure need to be united. If all I do is for Glory of God, it is a waste if my heart is not in it. It wastes my money, my usefulness and my time. I guess I have flipped the verse, where my heart is, there my treasure is, but,my real treasure is in Heaven, and that is where my heart longs for, so if my treasure in this world and my heart do not match up, how can I unite them for heaven?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good one to ponder for the mother who is considering placing her child in a public school high school...where is her Heart and Treasure? Is she considering PS because she doesn't want the responsibility of homeschooling? Is she considering PS to have a bit more freedom in her own day? Is she considering it to go back to work since her family's income is at poverty level? If her heart and treasure is in the family and in God, then the first two are for the wrong reasons. Hmmm...much to ponder...where is my heart and treasure? (Hey, Debbie, I don't mean to leave comments for everyone to see...just wanted to let you know how this one touched me and makes me think.)

Deb said...

Nichelle, Thanks.

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

I love this post because I often have to reprioritize where my time goes. It has to be for something I'm passionate about and that has some benefits for my young family as well. I'm also passionate about breastfeeding and so glad you are giving your time to the poor who would most benefit from it, and who usually have formula pushed on them. Nishelle, I homeschooled for several years and now send my children to a Catholic school. I did this so I could spend more quality time with my 4th baby, and the kids are doing great. I am now contemplating public vs. Catholic school. Just keep praying and one day an answer you can be at peace with will come to you.