Saturday, February 14, 2009

Have I mentioned I hate Valentine's Day?

'cuz I really do! I have not liked Valentine's day since Jr. high. Once I became the brooding teen I was, I always wore black on Valentine's day. Guess What? I'm wearing black. Yep. I still hate it. It is a stupid holiday in which people who otherwise might not go out of there way to do something special for each other do. Nice.

I much prefer Tuesdays. Yep, Tuesdays. Years ago, when I told my now husband that we WERE NOT celebrating Valentines day, because it is a stupid forced affection day, I told him I much prefer a surprise on a random Tuesday. One random Tuesday, he showed up with flowers, the next I sent him a card, and while we were dating this went on. After almost 12 years of marriage, Tuesdays are making a comeback. It is so nice to get a note, or card or flower (we do have kids now, so only one is in the budget!) for no reason rather than because it is expected. 

Did I mention I get injured on Valentine's Day? The one year my now husband decided he would get me a Valentine's day gift, I got so mad I jumped on my dorm room bed hastily and managed to sprain my ankle. I softened to Valentine's day in 2000, when my daughter had a cute outfit to wear, that year, I shattered my humerus and had to have emergency surgery and 7 months of physical therapy to use my arm again. Ever since the Arm, we let the kids do their parties, but we do not mention the V-day. Tuesdays are much safer!

Happy Rod in the Arm Day, as we call it around here.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Amen sister! Did you read mine?

Deb said...

Bryan read it to me when he snuck over her Saturday night to pick up his camera.