Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Why is it okay to poke fun at Catholics?

Seriously! I was at a concert the other evening, and the band, who I  know to be Christians, playing in a "faith community" sponsored venue poked fun at the fact that a group of Fransiscan asked to use one of their songs. It wasn't so much what they said, but how they said it and the way the crowd responded that bugged me. It was all so funny to them, that they had a song that was "catholic". I really did not see what was so funny. I was with a group of Catholics, and we were all left looking at each other somewhat confused. 

If this was an isolated incident in my life, I think I would have more patience, but almost daily I hear small little jabs at the Church. Sure, many of the things come from lack of understanding, but if I made fun of Muslims, or Hindus, or even worse, Evangelicals, I'd be brandished intolerant or worse. I do not get it. Sure, our faith has "quirks", and plenty of history to look at for humor, but still, why is it okay? I think it is time for Catholics to stand up and stop being the butt of jokes, better off yet, let's not make fun of ourselves!

No comments: