Monday, March 17, 2008

Have I mentioned lately that I love my Bishop?

Bishop Peter Sartain has breathed a breath of fresh air into the Joliet Diocese since he arrived here two years ago. This month, he again, has made a change, a good one, to help the flock he shepherds. He got rid of our diocese newspaper.

Our paper was quite simply a waste of trees. I have nothing good to say about it, and that might explain why only 8% of registered parishioners of the diocese subscribed. It was dated, and did not reflect the people of the diocese well. My in-laws loved it, it was written for them, and their sixties "let's reform the church" friends.

When Bishop Sartain arrived, he came with a journalistic wealth. He had had his columns from the Little Rock Paper published in a book form, which became a best seller up here. He is concise, and wise. He is humble and brilliant. A few people started reading the paper just to read his column, but it also became available on-line.

So what are we getting? Well, every registered parishioner will receive a new magazine to help them grow in there faith, the Bishop has replaced the old staff, and will be overseeing this new effort. Not only those who attend mass regularly will benefit from the good Bishop's wisdom, but the sheep who may be wandering. I feel so blessed to live here right now.

2 comments:

chestertonian said...

whoa. does he need an editor-in-chief?

(no, I won't be leaving Gilbert; I could do both)

Deb said...

Hmm, that I do not know. I know that the new magazine is coming from another diocese,and will be customized by ours. Here's teh website, you can read the bishop's whole letter on the matter. http://dioceseofjoliet.org/

Your parents will be steps from the Cathedral for the homeschool conference, adn the bishop will say mass, maybe they can put in a good word for you :-)