Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Food and Memories

I've been craving a certain food from my childhood, Chicken and Noodles, and have been unable to find the recipe. For most people asking mom would be the best solution, however, I cannot do that. My mom has severe memory loss. I know she would remember making this dish, but not what is in it. And to complicate matters, she can no longer walk, so she cannot even look for the recipe. Sure this stuff happens as people age, but my mom is 62, and has been like this for nearly 10 years. It bites, to be really honest.

She did not cook much, we did a lot of prepared meals (it was the 80's everyone did). There are very few foods I would like to try to recreate for my kids. My parents are in Florida for a week, so my sister and I took matters into our own hands and raided the recipe cabinet. I sifted through hundreds of recipes, but only found two I ever remember her making, she clipped many, but never made them. I did not find my two favorites, Chicken Paprika and Chicken and noodles. I left feeling really really sad. Like a piece of my childhood is gone forever. My sister never remembers my mother cooking, by the time she was born mom was sick often and worked when she was well, I feel worse for her, she has nothing as foods go to pass on to her 3 kids. I at least can try to re-create some of the recipes on my own.

Its funny, my dad spent most of my childhood talking about this wonderful Polish Cauliflower his mother made. She had died before I was born. He could never find a recipe that tasted like hers, shortly after I was married, I succeeded. Maybe one of my kids will be able to come up with a perfect recipe for me, but I'm impatient and have a chicken in the freezer that really needs noodles.

It is funny how tastes and smells elicit memories, rich, warm, lovely memories. Every time I eat a snowball cookie, I am transported back to my grandmother's kitchen. I can see her, playing cards, hear her voice, even though she died a decade ago. I want this for my kids, to have memories that are brought on my a simple cookie or soup, that makes them smile,and remember a loved one, long passed. My kids will not get this from my mom, but may from my Mother-in-law.

Take the time to write down those favorite recipes, no matter how often you make them, and put them in a special book for each child. You never know how special it might be for them. It is not just recipes, but a collection of memories for them to pass on. If you have a Chicken and noodles recipe to share, email me cdclil at sbcglobal dot net

No comments: