Saturday, March 7, 2009

Where there there is saddness, Joy

This weekend has been hard, two of my best friends had miscarriages, one yesterday, the second, today. For lack of a better way of putting it, I'm tremendously sad for them. I cannot imagine their  sorrow, loss or pain, but I can feel mine. It seems so selfish of me, to mourn their babies.  I was so excited for them, they both were delighted to welcome a new little life into their lives, and I was delighted to witness their joy and eager to meet their little one. That life is gone. 

How can the sorrow of a promise never fulfilled be soothed? I long for the perfect words to say to them, for the right glance or embrace to make it better, but I know, I have little to offer. I have never felt this pain firsthand, thank God. I feel even worse that I put off pregnancy while so many of my friends long for a baby, it just feels selfish of me. I know that that is how it has to be for now, but still, I wish I could take away their longing. 

Moments like this are beyond my understanding, I am not meant to see how this fits in God's plan for my friends. It is not a crisis of faith, or a moment of doubt, just a lack of knowledge, but faith picks up where knowledge leaves off. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so beautifully written debbie. thanks for writing about this sad time for our friends (and us)