Saturday, August 23, 2008

Chesterton, Chesterton Everywhere!

Today has been very odd, everywhere I turn, Chesterton.

Here's a look at my Chesterton filled day. I'm at Barnes and Noble, looking for a copy of The Man Who Was Thursday rather quickly. I bought one there last year as a gift, so I know that recently they have had it. I searched and searched, no sign of anything Chesterton. I even ventured into the abyss know as "Christian Fiction" looking. I gave up after a latte found it's way into my hands, and decided I needed help. Enter "Customer Service" girl who informs me that "due to the nature of the book, it is pre-pay special order". Um, Okay, and what is that nature, I ask, "books no one wants". EXCUSE ME! I want it, and know for a fact that B&N has a edition of it they publish. I decide, rather insulted, I'll order it from The American Chesterton Society and forgo my husband's huge employee discount at the mega book retailer.

Shortly there after daughter and I race to church to be 6th and 7th line for confession, so we only have to wait 45 minutes. Father tells her to "read a book called Father Brown". I chuckle, she giggles, and refreshed with grace, we head home to find..

...A Letter from the ACS asking for donations, memberships and book orders. In all honestly, if I had any money I could give, I would, but we just do not this year. I'm happy I have 2 more years on my membership. I'll be ordering that book, and maybe another tonight.

After a brief visit with family for a party, I check my 104 awaiting emails, to find this:

Save the Dates for G.K. Chesterton Events: October 23 and 24, 2008

The Wade Center is pleased to present a lecture by Dale Ahlquist (President of the G.K. Chesterton Society) on Thursday, October 23, followed by a Wheaton College chapel talk on October 24 by Chris Mitchell. Chuck Chalberg presents his dramatic performance "G.K. Chesterton On Stage" on October 24. Continue to watch this web page for additional details.
I'm so excited! We love watching EWTN"s Apostle of Common Sense with Mr. Ahlquist. I think I'm going to get a nice date with my husband October 23 or 24, and an evening at the Irish pub down the block.

Now I'm off to play Chutes and Ladder with my boys and then read Chesterton, who seems to be calling me today.

4 comments:

Nancy C. Brown said...

Yeah, Chesterton!
I am sorry you had a hard time finding Chesterton though, at the store. They are very wrong about it not being in demand.

And VERY COOL about the priest recommending Chesterton in confession. That's a first I've heard of that.

I guess you need to read some Chesterton today, eh?

Deb said...

I sure do, I got The Well and the Shallows a few months ago, and have been slowly going through it.

Thanks for visiting, I was getting lonely.

chestertonian said...

Barnes & Noble said that? Yes, they DO publish an edition of The Man Who Was Thursday, a very nice paperback edition too. AND they publish a very nice paperback edition of The Ball and the Cross, chiefly notable for the fact that they were dumb enough to let me write the introduction to it.

Deb said...

Yep, Sean, they said that. Now I need to look for The Ball and the Cross, and use my nice little discount to get it. I cannot be too upset, it was 9am on a Saturday and the girl working probably goes to the adjacent college and earns slightly above minimum wage. Why should she care?