Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Who moved the Beer (brewery)

So the clan is all off to LaTrobe, PA this week for a gathering of my in-laws (insert joke here). If you are like me (Irish), you are thinking, LaTrobe, Hey, Rolling Rock! Yep, Rolling Rock, I was very much looking forward to a tour. This would join all of my childhood vacations to that of my children's.

I used to visit an uncle who lived in Chippawa Falls, WI, home of Leinenkugels Beer. The highlight of the trip was always the brewery, and for us kids, the orange pop that followed. Did I mention my mom was Irish? It was a nice family trip, and science is involved in beer brewing, so my parents took us, again and again. I have really found memories, and was hoping my kids could see the science involved in beer brewing.

I do not keep up on the world of beer, I have my favorites, and faithfully buy them. In planning for this trip I started looking into a trip to Rolling Rock. Well, guess what? They were bought by the evil corporate giant Anheuser-Busch and moved out of LaTrobe. Stupid big corporation ruining my fun. I guess we will be spending three days at the Grist mill of St. Vincent, being reminded of family history ( Husband's uncles were Archabbots).

2 comments:

chestertonian said...

They were bought by the evil corporate giant Anheuser-Busch and moved out of LaTrobe.

Youp. It's why I call A-B the Antichrist-Beer. They bought the brewery (which had been owned by Canadian giant LaBatt's, I think), shut it down, putting all the employees out of work, and, as their press release said, "moved all operations to the A-B plant in New Jersey."

Truly evil, and not the least of their sins is calling a brewery a "plant." But if the product is Bud or any of their other beers, which are little more than drug delivery devices, maybe it's fitting.

Deb said...

I had the pleasure of meeting the Last Brewmaster Rolling Rock had. He is a volunteer at the St. Vincent Gristmill. Great Guy, he served in WWII, and used his GI bill to go to brewmaster school. Good Catholic, too, it was bittersweet listening to him talk, days long gone....

I also got a picture of the original Benedictine Beer cans, their brewery was burned down during prohibition. Darn Puritians.