Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Life's Chance Encounters

Recently I met a lovely older (to me at least) woman at my parish. She was serving soup at our Lenten Soup dinner. I was struck by her kindness and her perfectly manicured nails. Here she was serving soup, at a parish function, to mostly hyper children and their tired parents, and she looked so elegant. She smiled, and waited patiently on all of the children, happy to refill their bowls again and again. She served with joy. I did not know who she was, i had never seen her around before, but I remembered her.

A few months later she and I met at a committee meeting for Project Gabriel, a group that in parishes helps support women in crisis pregnancies. There she was, the head of the material goods committee. I was thrilled to finally meet her and more thrilled to work with her. 

I grew to know her a bit, she was witty and realistic, perfect for our work, which can be hard. She was full of great ideas and resources. Her husband was a Knight of Columbus and was very helpful in our work, rallying the older men to help our young, pregnant, homeless mother with her material needs, and gettting them to pray for her. Every time I saw her, she was joyful and greeted me with a warm smile. A good Catholic woman.

This morning I received a phone call to inform me she had suddenly died. I am deeply saddened. I am shocked, and I am better for this chance encounter with a wonderful woman who shared her time with so many, including me.

No comments: